The girl was taken to hospital, where she had to have a skin graft after the incident. The victim has been identified as Yiyi Huang from Quanzhou city in China’s Fujian province. According to Yahoo News Australia, the incident occurred earlier this month when Yee was playing with her younger cousin.
(Also read: Vivo’s beautiful 8GB RAM smartphone is getting super cheap, it’ll get a 32MP selfie camera)
Then her grandmother heard a loud crash followed by Yi’s scream. When she arrived to investigate, she noticed smoke coming from Yi’s wrist and soon realized that Yi’s smartwatch had exploded on her wrist. Due to the explosion, the skin on the back of her hand had suffered third-degree burns. Yi had to undergo a skin graft procedure.
Compensation is being negotiated.
Full details of the incident, including the name of the smartwatch manufacturer, have not yet been made public. Huang is said to be in talks with the producer about compensation for the incident. This incident is a shocking incident, reminding us how dangerous a battery can be in any worst case scenario.
(Also read: Battery drains fast, so change this phone setting today, work will be easy)
We have seen this type of incident in the past with many other devices. However, smartwatches haven’t really been a part of this list until now. As in this case based on several previous incidents, it is possible that the smartwatch battery exploded in a significant physical impact, an external force could damage the battery to the point of exploding. Of course, one can argue how a four-year-old was able to generate so much power, and why the smartwatch couldn’t handle it.
Tags: portable gadgets, Technology news
PUBLISHED FOR THE FIRST TIME : July 07, 2021, 14:05 IST